The first bottle of Grapefruit Honey Ale we brewed five weeks ago.
We’re normally IPA drinkers, the hoppier the better, but for a wheat beer this is pretty tasty. It wasn’t as citrus-y as I would have liked but adding a squeeze of fresh grapefruit juice to the pint glass made it just right. The beer itself was a little cloudy with sediment, but I don’t think we added the Irish Moss at the end of the boil which would have cleared some of that up. Also, we didn’t have enough honey on hand when we brewed this batch so we used agave syrup for the sweetener. And we used canned malt instead of the grain, and since I was trying to follow the recipe to-a-tee, I added the canned malt extract to the boil with the rest of the grains instead of adding it towards the end. Oops. Oh, and we used priming sugar when we bottled it instead of adding the recommended amount of honey to the wort. I guess we made several tweaks to the original recipe. I’m not sure if the agave made a difference in the final flavor versus the honey; I don’t think the priming sugar changed the overall profile very much. When/if we make this recipe again I’ll have to add more grapefruit peel to the finish and see if that enhances the citrus flavor. Or maybe adding some additional varieties of citrus fruit peels would give it a little extra kick, a few limes might go along well with the grapefruit.
My step-sister gave Big E a copy of the Brooklyn Brew Shop’s “Beer Making Book” which is where the recipe came from. We’re excited to try out some new varieties later this summer, and the option of only brewing a gallon at a time (about 10 bottles) makes trying some varieties we would normally shy away from a real possiblity. I’m especially looking forward to making the Peach Cobbler Ale later this summer. Or maybe I’ll hit my mother-in-law up for some of her rose hips and make the Rose Cheeked and Blonde beer also featured in the book. I’ll be sure to come back with a review once we can pop the bottles.
In the mean time, cheers!